cause i don't feel like talking.

but i have something to say.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I struggled for umpteenth years to break the habit of swearing. Profanity, profanity. Words are powerful and affect us in tremendous ways. Words carry meaning and emotion that affect us - and others - in amazing ways. True, words can have a positive impact ... but it's unlikely that a choice swear word has ever brought encouragement.

Ephesians 4:29 "Don't use bad language. Say only what is good and helpful to those you are talking to, and what will give them a blessing."

Proverbs 29:11 "Foolish people lose their tempers, but wise people control theirs."

Proverbs 15:1 "A gentle answer will calm a person's anger, but an unkind answer will cause more anger."

Ephesians sums it up pretty well, but I like what Proverbs 29 says. When I lose my temper and swear or use words that I later regret, it compares me to a fool. Ouch. I don't like that. I don't like guilt. But it's true. When I don't control my temper or my word choice it means that I'm allowing my emotions to guide my life. Emotion can be great, but when I live by emotion -- without thinking first -- that's foolish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home